There are a lot of reasons to apply for and acquire a building permit. A building permit ensures:
- Adequate documentation is prepared to construct your building or extension/alteration
- The contractors are registered licensed and insured
- Key stages of the work are inspected
- Review of building plans and structural calculations occurs
- Your building is assessed as suitable for occupation
Section 105.1 of the 2015 International Building Code regarding required permits reads;
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.
View a list of exceptions from the International Building and International Residential Codes (PDF).