Why do I receive a bill if I don’t have a storm drain on or adjacent to my property?

Under federal guidelines, the City of Fife is responsible for all water discharged into natural water bodies. This includes “interflow” that is intercepted by storm systems, (“interflow” is water that soaks a short distance into the ground and then moves laterally before returning to the surface.) In fact, many potential pollutants reach surface waters through this path, as the water that soaks into lawns picks up pesticides or fertilizers and carries them to waterways. The city’s storm utility will fund the monitoring of such pollutants.

Financing Improvements 

The city’s storm utility will also fund future improvements that may include construction of storm drains near your property. Like many governments and private parties, the City of Fife funds projects through a combination of cash financing and borrowing. It must put aside funds in advance of building projects in order to pay cash for project costs or for a down payment towards borrowed funds.

Show All Answers

1. Why do I receive a bill if I don’t have a storm drain on or adjacent to my property?
2. I didn’t ask for the service, why do I have to pay for it?
3. Part of my storm drainage bill shows a charge for “impervious area.” What does that mean?
4. I already pay for the drainage district and for Pierce County Surface Water Management on my property tax bill. Why is the City of Fife charging me another fee for the same service?
5. Will this storm drainage billing be indefinite, or is it for a set period of time?
6. My property still floods in the winter. Now that the City of Fife is charging me for storm drainage, does that mean that the City will fix my drainage problems?
7. I have tenants at my property; can I have them pay?
8. How do I pay my utility bill?