Office of the City Manager
Welcome to the Office of the City Manager for the City of Fife. City Manager Derek Matheson supports the council priorities of:
- Adequate and Sustainable Services
- Civic Engagement
- Community Connectivity
- Economic Health
- Environmental Stewardship
The city manager is responsible for:
- Implementing the adopted policies of the mayor and city council by coordinating city services to meet the needs of all who live, conduct business and play in the City of Fife.
- Under the leadership of the city council, proposing policies and programs, carrying out directives voted by the city council, and developing a long-range view of city problems, needs, goals and objectives for consideration by the city council.
- Preparing general rules and regulations necessary for the conduct of the administrative offices and departments of the city and supervising the preparation of the city’s budget and financial reports each fiscal year.
- In addition to the overall administration of city government, overseeing the Executive Department, which includes the City Clerk, Communications and Information Technology divisions.
ADDRESSING CITIZEN CONCERNS
GET TO KNOW fife's CITY MANAGER: DEREK MATHESON
Matheson began serving in the role of city manager on April 18, 2022.
Previously, Matheson served as the chief administrative officer at the City of Kent from August 2014 to March 2022. Before working for the City of Kent, Matheson was the city manager at the City of Covington for seven years. He served in various roles at the City of Federal Way for 12 years, including assistant city manager and interim city manager.
Matheson has a bachelor’s degree in political science and a master’s degree in public administration from the University of Washington. He is also an ICMA Credentialed Manager. His professional affiliations include the International City/County Management Association; the Washington City/County Management Association, where he is the past president; and the King County city managers and administrators group, where he is a co-chair.