Fife City Clerk
Here is Fife's Fee Schedule as set by Resolution 1489:
- Administrative Fees
- Community Development, Planning and Building Fees
- Parks, Recreation & Community Services Fees
- Police Department Fees
- Public Works Fees
For assistance, or to make requests by letter, email, or phone, contact:
Public Records Officer
5411 23rd St. E.
Fife, WA 98424
Telephone: (253) 922-2489
Public Records requests must include:
- Name and address and contact information for requestor.
- Description of public records adequate to locate the records.
- Date of request.
You will receive a response within five business days as described below.
NOTE: Some public records are currently available on the City’s website at no cost. Examples include Council Meetings (current and past), Agendas, Minutes, Comprehensive Plan, Budget, and links to FMC’s and RCW’s.
The Public Records Officer will make records available for inspection and copying by appointment during normal business hours, excluding legal holidays. Requestors will not remove documents from the viewing area or disassemble or alter any document.
The requestor will indicate which documents he or she wishes the City to copy.
Cost for Public Records
There is no fee for inspecting public records.
- Black & white copies $.15 per page
- Mailing Actual cost of postage and shipping container
- Other media Actual cost of reproduction
(Color, electronic and/or information provided on a disk or CD-ROM)
Payments by cash, visa/mc charge, check, or money order payable to “City of Fife.”
For large requests, the City may:
- Require a deposit of up to ten percent of estimated cost before making copies
- Provide copies in installments
- Require advance payment before providing further installments.
Role of Public Records Officer
- Oversee compliance with the Public Records Act
- Administer program consistent with Administrative Policy Provide the “fullest assistance” to requestors
- Coordinate response to requests with departments
- Provide most timely possible & efficient action on requests
- Fulfill requests without excessive interference with City business
- Protect public records from damage or disorganization
Response to Records Requests
Within five business days of receipt of the request, the Public Records Officer or designee will do one of the following:
- Make the records available for inspection or copying.
- Send copies to requestor if payment has been received.
- Provide a reasonable estimate when records will be available.
- Contact requestor to request clarification.
- Deny the request citing reason for denial.
If a requestor does not receive a response within five days, he or she should contact the Public Records Officer to determine the reason.
Some Records Exempt from Disclosure
The Public Records Act and other statutes, list types of documents (RCW 42.56) from public inspection and copying.
City of Fife will NOT disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes.
If only a portion of a record is exempt from disclosure, the Public Records Officer or designee will redact the exempt portions before providing the document.
If a requestor has not reviewed or claimed records within thirty days of notice that records are available or fails to make payment, the Public Records Officer may close the request.
If requested records contain information that may affect rights of others, before providing the records, the Public Records Officer or designee may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties.
After a request has been filled, If the Public Records Officer becomes aware of additional documents existing at the time of the request, these will be provided to the requestor on an expedited basis.
Requesting Review of Denials
A requestor may send a written petition to the Public Records Officer in order to have any disclosure denial reviewed. Such request will be promptly reviewed by the City Attorney who will advise the Public Records Officer of the appropriate interpretation of State law. Should the requestor disagree with the legal interpretation of State law, further appeal must be through available judicial remedies.
If the request is for police records, the request should be made to the Fife Police Department, Attn: Dianna Kilponen, 3737 Pacific Hwy. E., Fife, WA 98424 (253) 896-8251. The request should include the following:
- Case Number
- Name(s) of parties involved
- Date(s) of birth of parties involved
- Date, time and location of incident
If the request is for court records, the request should be made to the Fife Municipal Court, Attn: Clerk of the Court, 3737 Pacific Hwy. E., Fife, WA 98424 (253) 922-6635.
To download the Public Record Disclosure form, click here.